While I’ve been blogging about my personal projects off and on, I’ve been awfully quiet about my day job. Now I can tell you why.
Characteristically for djb, publicfile is pretty minimal out of the box. Here are a few patches I applied to the source to make my server faster, more flexible, and easier to use.
I try to maintain a reasonably secure webserver.
A webserver is a computer, connected to the public internet, that does things (serves pages, etc.) whenever anyone asks it to. This makes it an easy thing to attack: the first step toward attacking a computer is usually getting it to do your bidding, and a webserver does your bidding every time you click a link.
My system logs show that I get attacked several times a day, like (I imagine) most computers on the Internet. Fortunately, most attacks bounce off — not because I have some magic security-foo, but rather because the software I’m using — specifically publicfile — doesn’t work the way the attackers expect it to.
While I am not so naive or foolish as to say that my server is “secure” — I’m sure it has some exploitable hole, and it runs in a distant facility that probably forgets to lock the doors sometimes — these attacks are of mostly academic interest.
Here’s some data I’ve collected from the past month or so of attacks. I figure this might help someone else detect or prevent an attack in the future.
Back in the Fall, I was invited to contribute to Make Magazine’s Ultimate Guide to 3D Printing. (That’s me on the front page, squinting at the Ultimaker wiki.)
If you’re in the market for a 3D printer, it’s a great place to start! We spent a weekend really putting these printers through their paces.