Makes: about two liters
Takes: about 3 hours start to finish
Oats have been easier to get than good granola recently, so I’ve taken to making my own. This is remixed from a friend’s recipe.
- 425g rolled oats. (NOT instant, quick, steel-cut)
- 225g buttermilk (about 1 cup) or 1:1 yogurt:whole-milk.
- 4oz stick butter, melted
- Oat flavorings group, can be combined in a bowl:
- 200g sugar
- 1/2 tsp or 2g kosher salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon, or other spices of your choice. A bit of vanilla goes a long way here.
- Nuts Group: about 200g of nuts and seeds, your choice, combined. One example:
- 150g blanched slivered almonds
- handful sunflower seeds
- 1tsp neutral oil for tossing nuts
- pinch of kosher salt
- Fruit Group: 150-200g of small dried fruit (I use a mix of cranberries and chopped dates, myself)
- Melt butter. Microwave is fine.
- Make buttermilk substitute if necessary.
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, buttermilk, melted butter. Stir to combine.
- Cover with a towel and set aside.
- Wait 20 minutes, then check that oats have soaked up all the goo. (They probably have.)
- Stir in Oat Flavorings Group. Re-cover. Set aside.
- Set 30m timer.
- Wait about 10 minutes.
Prepare the nuts:
- Start oven preheating to 350F
- Pour the Nuts Group onto a parchment-lined half sheet.
- Wait for oven to finish preheating.
Bake the nuts:
- Bake the pan of nuts for about 10 minutes or until browning is starting.
- Pull pan of nuts and dump nuts into a medium bowl (same one you used for the oats is fine, maybe wipe out any liquid with a towel). Keep the parchment-lined pan for reuse.
- Reduce oven to 300F
- Toss bowl of nuts with oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Add Fruit Group to bowl of nuts.
- Wait for 30 minute timer you set earlier to go off. (It probably has by now.)
Bake the granola:
- Check: sugar should be stuck to oats and whole mix loosened up a bit.
- Scrape oats onto parchment-lined half sheet, spread into an even layer. Compress a little bit to encourage clumping.
- Bake, stirring every 25 minutes, until golden brown and dry (about 1h40m, or
4x 25m intervals)
- I stir by using a metal spatula to flip sections over.
- Dump mixins on top of oaks on half sheet. Stir until distributed.
- Allow to cool (30-45 minutes).
- Transfer into airtight container.
- This is hard to do without dumping granola all over your kitchen. I suggest moving portions of the granola with a spatula until there’s enough free space to grab the parchment paper and use it as a chute.