Makes: 5 good-sized servings
Takes: about 3 hours overall, no more than 10 minutes active work
This is my favorite sweet potato preparation. It produces a creamy puree with a texture like mashed potatoes, but with a flavor that’s somewhere between a side dish and a dessert.
- Two medium sweet potatoes - about 1.5 lbs / 700 g. (I usually get Beauregards, which are mis-labeled as garnet yams at my supermarket.)
The liquids (can combine in 2qt saucepan):
- 160 ml heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, or 1/2 tsp powdered bean, or scrapings from the inside of about 1/3 - 1/2 vanilla bean.
- About 1tsp orange zest (does not need to be exact).
- 30 g / 2 Tbsp unsalted butter.
- Some kosher salt.
Roast the potatoes.
- Preheat an oven to 250 F.
- Put parchment on a cookie sheet, and the sweet potatoes on the parchment.
- Start them cooking. Set a timer for three hours.
When the timer goes off, prepare the cream:
- Combine the liquids (including the orange zest) in a 2 qt saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Cook 5 minutes.
Combine in food processor:
- Take potatoes out of oven.
- Slice them in half or quarters, and use a spoon to scrape out the flesh. The flesh can go directly into the bowl of a food processor.
- Pour the liquids from the previous step into the food processor.
- Add the butter and a pinch of kosher salt.
- Puree until smooth.